Monday, August 11, 2014

Book Review: "Miracle in a Dry Season"



I first read Sarah Loudin Thomas in “Appalachian Serenade” a novella.  I absolutely loved that story and thought to myself, “I have a new author to read”.  I loved that “Miracle in a Dry Season” was a continuation from “Appalachian Serenade”.  I loved revisiting those characters again. 

The author has a wonderful way of writing the characters personalities.  I felt like I really knew these people and could easily relate to them throughout the story.  I love a book that literally makes you feel like you are there.  Thomas has a way of describing things that makes it easy to escape, for example from page 88, “The beans, simple beans, melted in his mouth.  Perla must have used ham hock to give them their slightly smoky, savory flavor.  He could sense the shape of each individual bean in his mouth just before they dissolved into deliciously creamy mass.”  Doesn't that bring back memories of eating ham and beans?  I can almost taste them now.

“Miracle in a Dry Season” touches on several things that happen every day.  Judgment of someone’s character is so easy to do, yet we don’t think of the repercussions.   I think the author does a great job touching on this subject without it feeling too preachy.  I love getting a feel for how Casewell feels versus how Perla feels.  Honestly, I could relate to Perla, and the fact that she really didn’t feel like she deserved a good man.  Throughout the story Perla believes she has gone too far from God for him to hear her.  I really like how Thomas addresses this at the end, through Casewell. 
   

Overall, “Miracle in a Dry Season” has a great flow to it and really gets to the heart of the matter.  When you believe in the power of God’s forgiveness it can really change how you look at people.  I can’t wait to read what is next from Sarah Loudin Thomas. 

1 comment:

Sarah Thomas said...

Thanks for such a thoughtful review!